admin No Comments

checklistSelling your home can be stressful at the best of times, and usually the biggest stress of all is getting everything organised. With paperwork for this and paperwork for that, not to mention the mammoth job of packing up all of your worldly possessions, things can go wrong quite quickly.

In a bid to help with organisation, here we’re going to provide you with a checklist for all of the documents that you’ll need as you prepare to sell your home.

Proof of Identity

This might seem like an obvious one when selling your house but surprisingly it’s also the one thing many sellers overlook. In the UK, suitable evidence of identity will normally be one of the following documents:

  • Current, signed passport
  • Current UK or EEA photo-card driving licence
  • Benefits book or original notification letter from Benefits Agency confirming your rights
  • CISA photo registration card
  • Police issued firearms certificate
  • Freedom pass
  • P60 or P45 or an Inland Revenue tax code notice
  • Residency permit or Home Office issued registration card
  • UK armed forces ID card

You will also be required to provide proof of address and if the ID provided doesn’t have this information, the following evidence of address can be provided in addition:

  • Bank or Building Society statement
  • Printed Benefits Agency letter or benefits book
  • Child Support Agency letter
  • Council Tax bill
  • Electoral Register
  • Motor insurance certificate
  • Inland Revenue Self-Assessment statement
  • Land Registry confirmation of address
  • Mortgage statement
  • Recent utility bill

Property Title Deeds

Title Deeds are the paper documents that show the chain of ownership for a property and the land that it sits on. Title Deeds are used as an official record of who owns the title to a property, without them there is no way to prove that you’re entitled to sell a house. They may also contain records of any outstanding mortgages, further information on boundaries and any rights of way.

Property Title deeds will usually be kept by either the mortgage lender, your solicitor or you depending on the agreement made when the house was purchased. If however no copies are available because they’ve been lost or destroyed, a new application for first registration will need to be made. This can be time consuming and costly as surveys and inspections may be required.

Property Information Form (TA6)

The TA6 form is designed to give the buyer as much accurate information about the property they’re buying as possible. The TA6 form isn’t compulsory for a seller to complete, however it does help with the whole conveyancing process as it presents in a logical format, facts and documents which may be required by the buyer later down the line.

Being as comprehensive as possible in your T6 form completion will mean there is less chance of any issues going forward.

Energy Performance Certificate (EPC)

An Energy Performance Certificate is required whenever a property is built, sold or rented out.

The certificate must be obtained by the seller before the property can’t be marketed for sale. If the property you’re looking to sell doesn’t have a valid certificate, a new EPC carried out by an accreditor assessor who will grade how energy efficient your house house, these grades go from A to G with A being the most efficient and G the least efficient and is valid for 10 years.

The report given with the EPC will include information about the property’s energy use and typical running costs. It will also give you recommendations on how to improve energy efficiency and reduce how much you spend.

As the Energy Performance Certificate is a legal requirement when selling your house, fines can be imposed if not obtained.

Other Important Paperwork

When selling your house it’s important to include as much documentation as possible, this makes it easier for you when selling but it will also make the transition easier for the buyer too.

Examples of other important paperwork would be:

  • Guarantees for building work, appliances or other fixtures and fittings
  • Any planning permissions in place
  • Boiler installation certificates
  • FENSA certificates for windows installed
  • Building Regulations certificates
  • HETAS certificate for solid fuel or biomass burner installation
  • Gas Safe certificate

In Conclusion…

When selling your house, there are so many thing to consider, but use our handy checklist and save yourself not only time and effort but maybe even some money too!

Image source: Glenn Carstons-Peters via Unsplash

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *